Today marks the day of the marriage of my two favourite foods: carbs & cheese! I hope most of you had the chance to celebrate this beautiful union. I was able to make myself a gluten-free grilled mushroom and cheese sandwich! See below for recipe.
Happy Grilled Cheese Day!
Gluten-free Grilled Mushroom & Cheese Sandwich:
- 2 slices of gluten free bread (I used Udi’s whole grain from Whole Foods)
- 1 medium sized mushroom
- 2 slices of cheese (cheddar)
- A tablespoon of butter
- truffle oil
- 1 handful of mixed baby greens
- 1 Campari tomato
- 4 thin slices of green apple
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Balsamic vinegar
- Balsamic glaze (I used Nonna Pia’s Balsamic Reduction in Strawberry Fig – found in Whole Foods or your local grocery store)
Place the two pieces of gluten free bread in a tray for a toaster oven. Toast the bread topped with cheese and thinly sliced mushrooms. Heat up a pan and melt the tablespoon of butter. When the bread + cheese + mushroom combo has toasted, put them on the pan and add a few drops of truffle oil on the mushrooms. Let sit till the bread becomes golden brown. Put the two sides together to form a sandwich and place aside into a plate.
Wash the mixed baby greens and slice the tomato, mix in a few squeezes of lemon juice, a dash of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Add the apple slices and finish with the balsamic glaze.
Voilà! Lunch is served.